Tips for an Anti-consumerist Christmas

Necessarily so, due to our impending international move, Christmas has been low key for us this year. But if I'm honest I've been intentional for several years about trying to create a minimalist, anti-consumerist Christmas that reclaims the joy of the season.

I literally get chills in stores like Dollar Tree looking at all the disposables such as wrapping paper and cheap Christmas decor. The amount that ends up in landfill each year must be astronomical.

So I thought it was about time I shared some of my thoughts on how to opt out of the rabid consumerism: 

This year we bought very few gifts and it felt great. We were far more focused on spending time with people. 

Not sure where to start? 

Just focus on this one question "Will this product end up in landfill soon?" Ask this question for every Christmassy purchase. 

You don't have to change your philosophy overnight, just begin to opt out of rituals and habits that aren't necessary anymore. 




Comments

Popular Posts